Thursday, September 4, 2008

When One Door Closes...

What does your front door say about you? I'm not the person to ask since my front porch and walkway remain unfinished. There are bits of concrete on my glass door, my siding, around the windows of the guest room...bricks are down in a lovely pattern but the $60 bags of sand haven't been swept across them to hold them in place. The column for the new light fixture isn't built, which is just as well since I hated the light fixture brought home for my approval. The existing column on the porch itself is in the process of being removed and rebuilt. Argh!!! It's going to be lovely when it's finished. I know it will. But there are days (lots of days) when I drive up and see the front of my house and wonder when it will be finished. (I've got my fingers crossed that it will be ready when I open the doors for stamp club a week from today.)
I like doors. Old ones, new ones, brightly colored ones, and most in between. I've been planning a class for over a year using miniature doors on canvas, creating a collage with a door actually opening into the canvas artwork. I can see it clearly in my mind, but it has yet to find it's way onto the pages of my calendar.
There was an article in the paper showcasing a bungalow with a "new" front door from the Habitat Re-Use Center and I really liked it. Made me want to rip mine out of the wall and replace it, but what I don't need is yet another new project when there are so many incomplete ones in progress.

This looks like a pretty interesting door, doesn't it? I don't want it on my house, or my street, or even in my subdivision, but if I passed it in your neighborhood, I'd smile and probably circle back to see it again. It's sort of cheerful and whimsical, and that appeals to me.

There are some exciting things happening in my life right now. Lots of opportunies are knocking and I'm trying to find the time to squeeze them all in to an already full schedule. I'll be posting more about those as they evolve.

In the meantime the days are growing shorter and it won't be long before it's dark on the drive home. The gorgeous summer flowers that are overflowing their pots will be replaced with the colors of Fall in the form of mums and pansies, and a collection of pumpkins. A landscaper is due at my house tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty before we head to Duke for my eye exam, and I'm anxious to see what he's planning to do with my new entry.

My favorite time of the year is right around the corner. I spotted lots of my Halloween decorations in the basement over the weekend. Swinging from a shelf was my 3' hanging skeleton. The life-sized, realistic looking tombstones Jennifer and I made before she moved to DC were over in a corner. And somewhere up in the attic are my artificial jack-o-lanterns including the one that looks like a spider. That fancy new brick entryway is so much larger than the old sidewalk I'm thinking I might need a few more decorations. I see shopping in my future.

And I also see a new color palette for my art. Next week when the ladies come to play I'll be pulling out my colorants in yellow & gold, orange & burnt umber. The winds of change are blowing, and I don't mean Hurricane Hanna.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.