Monday, February 9, 2009

Inspiration from 7 Gypsies

Eye candy was overly abundant at the 7 Gypsies booth, just as it is at every show. They'll gladly sell you the blank journals along with papers, pockets, tags, and now even double-sided ephemera. Add to those their gaffer tape, bands, clips, and their new paper bags and I'm telling you, there's nothing you can't do in the creation of a book.
I love building a book, adding papers and clip art, chipboard letters and stickers, tabs & pockets. It's what I truly love. And flipping the pages of their display albums left me smiling at the possibilities.

For some reason I'm into the look of plain brown paper this year, so their paper bags were a nice new element. But it also gave me a whole new appreciation for all my old books and ledgers. And best of all I found new books while in Culver City, prior to the taping of the Bonnie Hunt show, in Greek and Russian. Too fabulous to think that every book in the store was just $1. I could've stayed all day. And the only thing that kept me from buying them all was the thought of my luggage staying under 50 lb each. :(

I love their gated journals best of all. The very first journal class I ever taught at Stampaway was using one of them and it's still much loved and admired in the studio. Mine featured lots of rubber stamping; something I didn't see in any of the journals in the 7 Gypsies booth. Perhaps I should send them one so we stampers aren't totally forgotten at the shows.


So whether you like to buy blank books and alter them, collage over old day planners to create new ones, or build your own journals using the binder of your choosing, I highly recommend you go forth and decorate one. Think small and pull one together as a Valentine's gift for someone dear. You can even make a paper bag book, folding and stapling the bags, adding a cover made from a big grocery bag or a manila folder. Come on...just do it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.