Thursday, May 8, 2008

Life with Machines

Everyone knows I've been struggling with my computer forever, but I have a new one on the way!! Vijay was kind enough to find me a computer online, send me the link, and help me select just what I needed. It's hard to be his designer and not be able to communicate with attachments, photos, etc., so it was a win-win situation for both of us.

Thanks Vijay!!!!!

For those of you who've known me forever, you know I don't sew. Just last night Clayton was sewing a button on the sleeve of his suit. But I've got big news to share...last week at Art & Soul in Hampton VA I took a class with Keely Barham and yes, I made a doll and a fabric journal with quilted & embellished covers! How does my quilting look? A first grader could've done better. And when I went to the sewing machine to construct my doll from multiple fabrics I did everything wrong. Most importantly, I forgot to leave an opening to turn it right-side out. And that meant cutting stitches which continued to come out up the side of the doll as I stuffed it. Next I forgot to snip into the stitched seam on all the round areas, so I had to unstuff it, turn it inside out again, and start over. When I finally took a needle & thread to close my huge opening, my horrible stitches looked like I created a little Frankenstein. Not to worry, I attached a row of beads all along that side to hide the stitches. Nothing would stop me from completing that doll and finishing that book. So when you see it, please ooh and aah as you laugh, because that's what I'm doing everytime I look at. And as soon as my new computer gets here, I'll post photos here.

Lots of fun in that class. Lots of talented women. And lots of inspiration for those of us who don't even sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.